Saturday, April 17, 2010

Sapa's Little Ones

I visited Sapa, Vietnam with my colleagues about two years ago. It had left a deep & lasting impression; the vibrant culture, colourful attire of the Hmongs, rice terraces and most importantly the children. I often wonder what their future will be.

Their home is nestled in rice terraces. During harvest time, the fields will be in gorgeous green. :)










These children need to work at a tender age to supplement their families' income.  :O Increased tourism has spurred the growth of souveniors sales by children. I'm not sure if its a positive change for the local community. To a certain extent I feel it amounts to child labour. Tourism has nonethelesss help the children (bearing in mind most of them receive litte or no formal education) master some basic English sales pitch. 






































No sophiscated toys. It's alright. They have fun with self-made ones! ;) I appreciate how easily contented these children can be.






































Count my blessings? I definitely do.The trip served as a constant reminder that my life is very cushy.

How to get to Sapa:
Take an overnight train from Hanoi to Lao Cai
Take a coach from Lao Cai to Sapa (the journey is approximately an hour)

No comments:

Post a Comment